Sand Dressed Sports Surfaces
Sand Dressed Carpet Turf is a dense, short pile that requires a fine sand infill. This kind of Artificial Sports Turf is much greener in its appearance as they have more fibres exposed than a Sand Filled Turf.
These artificial surfaces usually have pile heights between 15 and 20mm. Sand-dressed surfaces have less sand than filled surfaces, which can result in considerably faster play characteristics.
Sand Dressed Artificial Turf Carpets are predominately a surface designed for hockey due to the achievable speed of the ball role. Sand-dressed artificial turf is ideal for Multi-Sport Surfaces and great for Tennis. As for the sport of football, it is OK to be used as a practice pitch. 3G artificial turf is recommended for rugby.
As with sand-filled, these carpets require regular maintenance. Correct, comprehensive maintenance can help significantly increase your artificial sports turf’s longevity. It will also ensure an enhanced and safe playing surface.
Here’s an overview of sand-dressed sports surfaces:
- Base Preparation: The base is prepared with proper grading and drainage to ensure efficient water runoff.
- Artificial Turf Layer: The turf layer, which has longer fibres than other types of synthetic turf, is installed over the base. This layer provides the playing surface.
- Sand Infill: A thin layer of sand is spread over the artificial turf, typically to a depth of around 5-8 mm. The sand serves to stabilise the fibres and enhance playability.
- Brushing and Grooming: The sand infill is brushed and groomed into the turf fibres using mechanical equipment, ensuring even distribution and support.
- Line Markings: The necessary lines and markings for the specific sports are painted or tufted onto the surface.
Characteristics and Advantages:
- Ball Performance: Sand-dressed surfaces are designed to offer excellent ball performance, particularly suitable for sports like field hockey and tennis.
- Traction: The sand infill contributes to good traction and consistent ball bounce and roll.
- Speed and Playability: The thin layer of sand allows for a fast-paced game and a high level of playability.
- Natural Aesthetics: Although synthetic, the longer turf fibres provide a more natural grass-like appearance than other artificial surfaces.
- Regular Brushing: Regular brushing and grooming are crucial to maintaining the sand infill’s even distribution and the upright position of the turf fibres.
- Infill Management: Monitoring and managing the sand infill level is vital for optimal performance and safety.
- Cleaning: Regular cleaning to remove debris and prevent compaction of the sand is necessary.
- Repairs: Promptly address any tears, seams, or damage to the turf to prevent further deterioration.
- Line Marking Maintenance: Keep the line markings clear and well-maintained.
- Deep Cleaning: Periodic deep cleaning to remove contaminants and rejuvenate the infill can help extend the surface’s lifespan.
Sand-dressed sports surfaces offer a balance between the feel of natural grass and the performance attributes of artificial turf. To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of these surfaces, adhere to manufacturer guidelines and collaborate with professionals experienced in installing and maintaining sand-dressed sports surfaces.
Sports Surfaces we install and maintain
Sand Filled Artificial Sports Surfaces are designed to meet the rigorous demands of continuous use. They are hard wearing synthetic carpets with a vertical pile and so long as they are maintained properly they meet their requirements easily. The grass fibres are kept upright by the sand infill.
Sand Dressed Carpet Turf is a dense short pile that requires a fine sand infill. This kind of Artificial Sport Turf is much greener in its appearance as they have more artificial grass fibres exposed than Sand Filled Turf.
Third Generation Artificial Grass or 3G Artificial Grass utilises longer fibres and as well as a sand infill it also has a rubber crumb infill. Generally 3G Artificial Sports Surfaces are used for the sport of football. However shorter versions make excellent pitches for hockey practice.