Artificial Sports Surface Installation
We install 3G, Sand Filled and Sand Dressed Sports Surfaces.
Artificial Sports Surfaces are designed to meet the rigorous demands of continuous use, and so long as they are correctly maintained, they will meet their requirements quickly. HB Sports Surfaces install Sand Filled, Sand Dressed or 3G Sports Surfaces.
Sports pitches used intensively over long periods can deteriorate rapidly, so extensive and continuous maintenance is usually required to keep sports surfaces operational. Overuse can result in bald patches, making sustaining a perfectly consistent surface impossible. Unfortunately, during the winter, natural grass surfaces can mean several matches must be cancelled due to the playing surface being frozen or water-logged.
Installing artificial sports surfaces involves several steps to ensure a safe and high-quality playing area. These surfaces are commonly used for sports like soccer, tennis, and basketball.
Here’s an overview of our installation process:
- The area is cleared of any debris, rocks, or vegetation.
- We ensure proper drainage by grading the area to create a slight slope.
- Any soil compaction issues are addressed to ensure a stable base.
- Depending on the type of artificial surface (e.g., turf or acrylic), a suitable base will be constructed.
- For turf surfaces, a granular sub-base made of crushed stone or aggregate is typically laid down and compacted.
- For acrylic or hard court surfaces, a concrete base might be necessary.
Laying of Underlayments:
For certain sports, shock-absorbing underlayments or pads may be installed to provide cushioning and reduce impact on players’ joints.
Artificial Turf: The turf sheets are rolled out, ensuring they are correctly aligned and fit the area. The edges are trimmed and secured, and the seams between turf sheets are carefully joined and glued. Infill materials (rubber or sand) are spread to provide stability and support for the fibres.
Line Markings and Logos:
The necessary lines and boundaries are painted or marked for the specific sports on the surface.
Curing and Testing:
- The surface is cured and set according to manufacturer guidelines. This step ensures the longevity and performance of the artificial surface.
- We then conduct quality and safety tests, such as slip resistance, shock absorption, and ball bounce.
We provide guidelines for ongoing maintenance, including brushing the turf, maintaining proper infill levels, and regular cleaning to prevent debris buildup. We offer a continuous maintenance service.
- Once the installation is complete, we walk through the features and maintenance requirements of the surface.
- We provide any warranties or guarantees offered by the manufacturer or installer.
- Regular maintenance is crucial to ensure the longevity and performance of the artificial surface.
- This can include brushing the turf, checking and replenishing infill, repairing seams, and addressing any damage promptly.
Replacements and Refurbishments:
Over time, the artificial surface might need replacement or refurbishment. The process will involve removing the old surface, repairing the base if necessary, and installing a new surface.
It’s important to note that the specifics of the installation process can vary depending on factors like the type of sport, the type of artificial surface, local climate conditions, and manufacturer recommendations. Hiring experienced professionals like HB Sports Surfaces is highly recommended to ensure a safe and high-quality result.
Types of Sports Surfaces we install and maintain
Sand Filled Artificial Sports Surfaces are designed to meet the rigorous demands of continuous use. They are hard-wearing synthetic carpets with a vertical pile, and they meet their requirements easily as long as they are maintained properly. The grass fibres are kept upright by the sand infill.
Sand Dressed Carpet Turf is a dense short pile that requires a fine sand infill. This kind of Artificial Sports Turf is much greener in its appearance as they have more artificial grass fibres exposed than Sand Filled Turf.
Third Generation Artificial Grass or 3G Artificial Grass utilises longer fibres and a sand infill with a rubber crumb infill. Generally, 3G Artificial Sports Surfaces are used for the sport of football. However, shorter versions make excellent pitches for hockey practice.